Thursday, August 2, 2012

Extreme Couponing For Good

I have always wanted to figure out how these people do extreme couponing. I never thought I could do it because I don't eat the processed foods they buy. So anytime I get coupons I just throw them away. BUT I have to admit I cringe when I go to the store and think about how these couponers get most of the stuff I buy for free or 90% off.

How they heck do they do it? I finally attempted my first coupon shopping trip yesterday. I had been planning it for a week and couldn't wait to get paid so I could try it out.

This is how I prepared for my first coupon shopping trip. Although it was a small scale shopping trip it took lots of planning. Not because it was complicated but because I had never done it before. I wanted to make sure I was getting the best deal I knew how to get.

So I looked through an ad from CVS (a local drugstore) and matched up coupons I found with their sale items. For instance they had Herbal Essence shampoo and conditioner 2 for $6 dollars. Then I had a manufacturers coupon for $2 off of two bottles. So that means I got 2 bottles for $4. Wooohooo! I did the same with Patene.

Then I bought some Dove bodywash for $4 normally $8.99. I had two coupons so I got to purchase 2 bottles. I also purchased ALL laundry detergent for $2.99 since it was on sale for $3.99 and I had a $1 off coupon. I also bought two of those. I think I would normally pay $6 to $7 for that bottle at Target.

After picking out all my items. I headed to the register a little nervous but excited to see what I had accomplished. Previous to picking out my items I filled out an application to get a rewards card. Some of the items I had purchased paid you back $1 to $2 in rewards bucks which can be applied to your next purchase.

Since I had to split my purchase into two transactions I got to use my rewards bucks on the second transaction saving me an additional $5 and 10% on beauty items. I felt so awesome when I checked out and compared my two receipts. I had actually saved a combined $60. What the?

I may not be an extreme couponer saving hundreds of dollars but I felt pretty proud of my attempt to save. I realized that those coupons are like cash. Why throw away cash if you can use it to buy things you normally pay full price for. I estimate that if I would have bought that stuff at Target I would have spent about $100 but I only spent around $40. I LOVE IT!

I now officially have a mini stash of hygiene products. My daughter was so happy because she has been wanting to coupon for so long since watching the Extreme Couponing show. I can't wait to learn more and make bigger purchases.

We are hoping to use our new found knowledge to start up our non profit organization. My daughter and I love helping the homeless and have personally prepared and delivered food to them on the streets. We are looking to start making bag lunches again and name our company...GOD IS LOVE!

:)

No comments: